- September 15, 2022 /
- Healthy Lifestyle
How many steps do you take in a day? 10,000? 15,000? Regardless of the number, most of us could stand to increase our step count. Walking is one of the simplest ways to get active and improve your health, but it can take a lot of work to make time for a lengthy walk every day. If you’re like most people, you probably have a busy schedule that makes finding time for a workout tough. But what if we told you that you could turn your daily walk into a workout? Making a few simple changes can turn your stroll around the block into a calorie-burning walking workout. Keep reading to learn how!
Make your walks a workout: tips to boost your fitness
Are you looking for ways to make your daily walk a workout? Walking is a great form of exercise, but it can sometimes take effort to get motivated. Here are some tips to help you make the most out of your walking routine:
- Set a goal. Whether walking for 30 minutes or completing a certain distance, setting a goal will help you stay on track.
- Incorporate hills. If your route includes any hills, challenge yourself to walk up them at a brisk pace. This will help increase the intensity of your walk.
- Use dumbbells. Adding weight to your walk can help turn it into a more effective workout. Try carrying a pair of dumbbells or using a weighted vest.
- Pick up the pace. If you usually walk at a leisurely pace, try picking up the pace for part of your walk. This will help get your heart rate up and burn more calories.
- Add in intervals. Walking at a consistent pace can get boring after awhile. So mix things up by adding in some short bursts of higher-intensity walking (or even running) throughout your walk.
- Listen to music or audiobooks. Listening to music or audiobooks can help the time pass more quickly and make your walk more enjoyable.
- Find a walking buddy. Having someone to walk with can help keep you accountable and motivated to stick with your walking routine.
Following these tips can turn your daily walk into a workout that will help you reach your fitness goals.
How to make your daily walk more interesting
If you’re anything like me, your daily walk is boring. But it doesn’t have to be! Here are a few ways to make your daily walk more interesting:
- Play a game
There are lots of great games you can play while walking, such as I Spy, 20 Questions, or even good old-fashioned conversation starters. Games are a great way to spice up your walk and keep your mind active.
- Listen to an audiobook or podcast
Audiobooks and podcasts are great companions for walks, especially walking alone. They can help pass the time and make your walk more enjoyable.
- Take in the sights and sounds around you
Sometimes, the best way to make your walk more interesting is to pay attention to your surroundings. Take in the sights and sounds of nature, people watch, or window shop. There’s a lot to see and experience if you take the time to look around.
- Listen to music
Music can help set the mood for your walk. Make a playlist of your favorite songs to get pumped up, or choose some calming tunes to relax and de-stress.
- Bring along a friend
Walking with a friend is always more fun than walking alone. Not only will you have someone to talk to, but you’ll also have someone to motivate you when you need it.
So there you have it! Five ways to make your daily walk more interesting. Give them a try and see how they work for you.